Aaron is the Chief Learning Officer of Big Nerd Ranch and its founder.
- What do you currently do?
I am the founder and Chief Learning Officer at Big Nerd Ranch. I write books and training materials for computer programmers. I mentor instructors. I do a little coding for the Mac and iOS.
- How did you get started in Mac and/or iOS programming?
I used to work for NeXT Computer, and when we merged with Apple, the technologies I had worked with become the basis of Mac OS X and iOS.
- What was the first app you created and what did it do?
My first iPhone app was called “Campwhere”. My father had a huge spreadsheet of information about public campgrounds in the US. I made it into an app to help people find campgrounds while traveling.
- Where did you get the idea for the app?
From my father.
- What went well? What could have gone better?
Development went well. Sales could have gone better.
- What is your favorite among the apps you’ve developed?
I made a walkie-talkie app that was pretty sweet. I never shipped it.
- What advice do you have for young people who want to make apps?
A lot of young people try to write amusing apps — those are the apps they buy.
If you want real success, find a real problem that adults have. Solve that problem.
Follow Aaron on Twitter.
Help more girls learn software development. Contribute to the App Camp For Girls Indiegogo fundraiser, get a cool perk, and enjoy the feeling of having helped the next generation of software developers.